Hermes - My Transporter on & off Roads - Grand Vitara

You Bought it, and now you have Driven it.
Post and Share your views Likes Dislikes about the Car you Own. Things you did to make it your Own Separate from the Rest. Your Very Own SIGNATURE

Hermes - My Transporter on & off Roads - Grand Vitara

Postby jskandhari » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Wheels make us crazy, even before I had learnt the definition of Cars the only ones I had known were the ones I had seen in Workshops; The Shaktimans, Tatra's, 1-Tons, Willy's (who were in phase out stage), Jonga & Likes. So basically automobile meant a vehicle that could take you anywhere you wanted to go with ease - THATS IT !

Roads were just guidelines, any flat surface, or path (aka Pakdandi) meant it was a route which could allow you to reach your destination. Soon, the craze of reaching the destination transformed into travelling. All this while I was still small in my LKG-UKG & Class I. Meanwhile, in toys GI Joes & their vehicles acted as evidence for my theory about Vehicles. So did Tintin Magazine :tounge: . Add to the fact that our Padmini was also doing the same (later I realized the place we were in wasn't having any so called formulated public roads). Hence, unknowingly I had first formulated the definition of SUV, as Cars.

While the Gypsy was omni-present in my upbringing in all its variants and more. So, once I started getting Vitamin M supplements various proposals were put forth for approval, to Home Ministry & Supreme Court :cwink: ranging from Jonga(redrafted version Sher will rise), Contessa(someday this one will come to life too), BMW e36(Got a Good bargain but wasn't approved). Eventually Gypsy was muled okaish given my choice of proposals which went for approval. Though having lived practically out of them on all kinds of terrain and design as old as I am, which hasn't received an upgrade except the MPFI modified block & Ministry knowing all its short-comings, It was approved with a noting sheet.

The approval meant, I was curious to get my hands on it & start living, driving, exploring & rallying at some point of time. So I started, researching, designing & deciphering how & what to put. With rough idealogy in mind I visited Auto Attitudes, Aman holds the fort there, great down to earth fella & rally champion too, who lives a dreams and helps others realize theirs to life. One thing I realized was, My vision was a bit blur; as I was aiming for both OTR SUV & Raid SUV, and the one that could be my daily ride too & be in alignment with my future plans. Aman, helped me a lot, knowing I was a prospective customer with thin Vita - M, with big dreams; he was ready to start working on the car simply on a phone call. Eventually, I went back and forth on quotes received from 4L - 5.8L and so on. Meanwhile before visiting him I had also visited Mayapuri (Heaven for people like me).

The same was put forth with ministry & the approval came but this time around with very few add-ons to the noting sheet. Since I was so use to the fact of receiving rejections and noting points, very few numbers gave me a feeling "Something isn't Right, it cannot be this easy !". Then I started exploring & brain-storming, burning my wee hours I could squeeze out from work, studies & other commitments to finding the best fit solution. After hunting international forums, reading comments, travelogues. I finally landed upon the option of Grand Vitara (Used ofcourse). Meanwhile parallely I had gone into super-saving mode after meeting Aman. This time, first research was performed; reviews were gauged, checked the the international scene with respect to India & India itself - Venn Diagrams. While it had contenders in the likes of Pajero, Endeavour, etc. All these were coming but the year range I was getting in my sampling was pretty old & Diesel Blocks. I am not a fan of used diesel blocks. Petrol never pinched me, :cwink: when you have to use your ride for leisure not as an necessity, most people think I am mis-alinged with the rest of India. Automobiles are not a necessity but Way of Life, Passion. So if I've to travel to office and I know I cannot enjoy my drive to office due to heavy traffic & Jams, I simply would walk to & from Office (3-4kms) or walk to the main road take a Shared Auto and travel to & from office. Brake & Clutch isn't my cup of tea with 3 Lanes turning into 9 in India. I hail from Chandigarh, people cruise here on roads even if they are empty, we adhere to traffic speed limits. Special mention and thanks to Chd. Traffic Police for promoting & forcing strictly all the traffic rules.

Long story short, Grand Vitara checked all the right boxes. Next question was could I land my hands on 2.4L block; the honest answer I gave to myself, stop fantasizing :roll: yourself and accept the reality NO, already I had aimed a bit high :tounge: . Next question was what Year bracket will be considered and what all will be rejected.

Years to be considered : 2007 -2008, all others to be overlooked.

The passive hunt started in March'13, Semi-Active in June'13 which transformed into Active in Dec'13 which was the deadline as per my time-chart. During this course most of the good pieces I came across were too expensive & the ones which were cheap were a Disaster. Infact, I learnt a thing or two about Kadi in the process (See the Link : Kadi - Advisory ). My market was complete India :!:

Finally, found my Chariot in True Value - Apra (See the Line : Apra - True Value Review)

868584 10210110099

Code: Select all
Model: Dec 2008
Engine: 1995cc / 2L 16v
Engine Codename: J60A

Power: 120bhp@5500rpm ( if the ECU update hasn't been applied)
Torque: 170nm@3500rpm
Transmission: MT

Took the Delivery on 5th Dec'13, on my way to South City Gurudwara the MG Road gave a good feel about its comfort & also its first Off-Road capability as the only perfectly laid road was cut, digged and is being re-carpeted in Gurgaon & then Drove to Chandigarh the next day, had to goto Kashmere Gate first from Gurgaon to pick-up a relative and then move to Chd. meant I was greeted by Delhi Traffic & Jams == the new FE :P & my first hunt for Petrol Pump :cwink: 16years old memory of IOC Pump opposite Hyatt when Dad use to get his Padmini for repair & coffee house memory, came to my rescue. the FE is of least importance to me, as the first question everyone asks me on knowning it is a Maruti vehicle :-& & SUV is "kitna deti hai" my response is This is a Suzuki, a product manufactured in Japan not by MSIL, their are not variants in India only one variant with MT & AT option. So to put to rest the curious buggers of FE, I'm getting 11.4kmpl average.

Things I Like
I like a lot of things, but few of the highlights which I have felt and liked

1) Suspension
2) Seating
3) Road Presence
4) Manoeuvrability
5) Single Click opens only Driver Door & Double Click opens all doors :"> Loved this feature (though speed lock isn't there will see if the OBC has enable option)
6) Built Quality & attention to Detail here & there
7) Super Silent
8) Speaker Setup

Things that need to be looked into

1) The spare tyre Wheel Cover makes a noise everytime you close the boot.
2) Gear Throws are a bit long, especially compare to my Sx4 but then this is a 4x4, took time getting use to by the time I reached Chd. I was tuned, fine tuning will be done over time.
3) Music Head-Unit :- USB, Aux was missed but I have a fix for it :cwink:

Loved the stock car so much that, I have put all my mods for it on hold as I want to relish this for awhile.

Have my exams, wanted to write this before the freshness is lost, photo-shoot will come later, meanwhile few random shots.98979695949190898887
J-asneet S-ingh K-andhari
Ride Safe - Follow Rules - Relish Driving - Have Fun but not at the Cost of Others
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Hermes - Name Insight

Postby jskandhari » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Slight History into the derivation of name:-
Hermes (/ˈhɜrmiːz/; Greek : Ἑρμῆς) is an Olympian god in Greek religion and mythology, son of Zeus and the Pleiad Maia. He is second youngest of the Olympian gods.

Like the Greek God of transitions and boundaries. Who is quick and cunning, and moved freely between the worlds of the mortal and divine, as emissary and messenger of the gods, intercessor between mortals and the divine, and conductor of souls into the afterlife.

This Hermes, moves freely from Tarmac, to mud, from roads to making its own paths.
Ride Safe - Follow Rules - Relish Driving - Have Fun but not at the Cost of Others
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

GeoLandars G92 P225/70R16 101H

Postby jskandhari » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am

Rubber that comes along with the Grand Vitara 2.0 are GeoLandars A/T -S with the Specification as following:-

Tire Size:- P225/70R16 101H
Load ID:- SL
UTQG Rating:- 500/A/B
Unit Weight :- 13.2KG
Rim Width(inches) :- Meas.  6.5 , Appr. 6.0 - 7.0
Inflated Dimensions(inches):- Over-all Width 9.1, Diameter 27.6
Tread Width:- 7
Tread Depth ( 32/in):- 13
Max Load at Cold Infation Pressure Single :- 795kg@51psi

Few pointers to help decipher the above figures

Tire Sizing System -P Metric
>P indicates that the tire is engineered to TRA standards and absence of a letter indicates that the tire is engineered to ETRTO standards. In practice, the standards of the two organizations have evolved together and are fairly interchangeable, but not fully since the Load Index will be different for the same size tire.

>The maximum inflation pressures of P-Metric tires were raised for lower rolling resistance.

>These tires are for a passenger vehicle. However 'P' denotes P metric size load and speed rating changes for P tire & non-P tires.

Speed Symbol
Speed ratings are certified maximum sustained speed designations assigned to passenger car radials and high performance tires. Because of the evolution of high-speed passenger car travel, it was necessary to establish a way to rate a tire's high-speed capability.

Also note
The Tire Industry Safety Council bulletin says:
"A reasonable person realizes that driving speeds are dictated by many factors, particularly such things as the weather, road surface and mechanical condition of the vehicle. These tire symbols do not mean that motorists can drive safely at the maximum speed for which the tire is rated or in excess of the posted speed limits."

H as above is in reference to 210kmph with Z* means can 240kmph max (This doesn't mean one has to drive at such speeds, it is indicator of safety limits of the Tire not drive and Vehicle.)

Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Labeling
Tires are subjected to a series of government-mandated tests that measure performance in treadwear, traction and temperature resistance. All testing is done by the tire manufacturer.

Treadwear
Treadwear is a measurement of tread durability. Tested against an industry standard, the assigned numerical grade indicates how well the tread lasts compared with a reference standard of 100. A treadwear rating of 200 means the tread wears twice as well as the standard. Actual wear depends on the conditions under which the tire is used. Driving habits, service practices, differences in road surface and varying climates all affect treadwear.

Traction
Traction is a measurement of a tire's ability to stop on wet test surfaces of asphalt and concrete under controlled conditions. Traction grades are assigned by the UTQG system and branded on the sidewall. Traction grade is determined only for straight-ahead, wet braking on concrete and asphalt. It doesn't include cornering, which may also be an important customer performance need.

Traction Grade A: The tire performed well on both surfaces.
Traction Grade B: The tire performed well on at least one of the surfaces.
Traction Grade C: The tire performed poorly on one or both of the surfaces.

Temperature Resistance
The UTQG also provides a measure of resistance to heat generation under normal operating conditions. The test is conducted under predetermined standards for inflation and loading. Excessive speed, underinflation and overloading can all cause adverse heat build-up. Sustained high temperatures can reduce tire durability. Resistance grades are branded on the sidewall.

Resistance Grade A: The maximum performance level indicating the tire withstood a half-hour run at 115 mph without failing.
Resistance Grade B: The tire passed 100 mph but not 115 mph.
Resistance Grade C: The minimum performance level indicating that the tire failed to complete a half-hour at 100 mph.

Inputs From: Yokahama & Wikipedia
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Re: Hermes - My Transporter on & off Roads - Grand Vitara

Postby Nirvaanaa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:30 pm

congratulations on first step of making your dream true... good first write up! interior shots please!
Nirvaanaa
Regional Head
Regional Head

Interiors Part I

Postby jskandhari » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Well I really haven't got time :tounge: while I still juggle between Exams, Stations & Work. I continue to click pics here and there as and when possible, so these are real life pics i.e. the vehicle is not specially washed / serviced for this. Infact whenever I am about to get down I click a pic, so most of them would be from drive side seat angle unless someone makes me sit in the co-driver seat.

So without much adieu here go the pics with slight description :cwink:
The only Off-Road experience it had, one which wasn't soft. The only time I got to click a pic of Hermes was when it was almost over and there was no dust outside (I couldn't afford to clean the interiors also especially with my jam packed schedule) This also was a Test Drive along with my Best Friend which was suppose to be around the block, we eventually ended up circumventing 120kms around Mohali :tounge: and happens to be my best & fav :"> click of Hermes.

Okay first off, the differences in built quality are eminent. Our Garage has Sx4 too, the closest sibling, and now I know what quality Sx4 owners outside get. Though the parts may look similar (plastics and other interiors the built quality & feel is totally different) and attention to detail love it.
Take this seat belt part for example a metal plate just to smooth and ease the operation. (and mind you there are plenty of such unobserved detailing in this car so each and every pic might not be available now but they will come in time.)

The storage pockets are in ample and all in right places carefully camouflaged
The above one is soon going to be used for other purposes (stay tuned for it :cwink: )

Co Driver, Sun Visor back side has this warning
While the Driver side is having a very thoughtfully placed information about Transfer Case
The present Head Unit wonderful ICE setup, love the sound the Headunit however isn't having Aux & USB (for those looking for quick and stock HU remedy just google Yatour)
The Airbags, Driver & Co Driver (usual placements)
The Rear Seats and adjustable headrest & view (rear visibility is sufficient using the side & center rear view mirror.)
The armrest on the doors all 4 have elbow padding #LOVE
The Door has dual tone with 2 textures of plastic and same seat material another thing which convinced me to keep the orignal seats (without cover), the power window unit is standard (no new sight, the designer paid least importance when he was designing them for Suzuki, I hope he was aware that they were going to be used across the platform)
The same Sx4 styled ducts but with a thud solid feel and quality
Okay so thanks to the Fords in the family I don't have to adapt to inverted Controls on the steering, wiper on the right and light on the left. (though like before on shifting from Fords to Sx4, I still make wiper mistakes atleast once on shifting :P and yes it is the wiper always)

Now that is what you call complete Auto Air Conditioning and powerful one might I say B-)
The 4x4 Love this actually the very reason for buying Grand Vitara was this BOTTOM_LINE, read 4 Wheel Drive - What is - When to - How To ! for more

Warning under the handbrake

Okay so my first maiden drive was for 710.1kms which includes Delhi Traffic, Gurgaon-Chd, Chandigarh non-traffic roads, Chd-Gurgaon
Which returned me a FE figure of 11.7kmpl decent #HAPPY not that 8kmpl would have made me sad but this wasn't expected in my maiden drive. I certainly can improve once I get tuned.

Remember I said on my opening pic, avoiding the interiors from getting dirty, the exteriors were having a thick coating of mud in every possible section, which meant me going back to my college days memories and getting on with the cleaning of my ride (back then use to get up at 4AM to clean my ride for College :cwink: ) and somehow I believe it helps in making a stronger bond with the Ride. So this is while I was caught in the act. Btw this is in 6 Deg Celsius

Okay so an update had to rush to Greater Noida and thus my drive was extended with Gurgaon - G.Noida Module (Round Trip) being included in same and my finaly Run stands at 878.1km and Finaly FE of the trip standing at 11.8kmpl
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Witson W2-I053 for Suzuki Grand Vitara

Postby jskandhari » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Okay, so since the day I had bought Grand Vitara, only thing that irked me a bit was the Head Unit, though it had an option of plug and play for USB/AUX/iPOD via CD exchanger port extension incase you are interested search Yatour Media Device USB for Clarion Head Unit (Clarion is the HU supplier for GV). But then I wanted more, basically front dvr recording. Had my eyes set on it since I first saw it on my fellow Team Member Shamcharanjit's Polo.

So I narrowed down to Witson W2-I053, which is an Android Based HU with the following specs
●Processor A8 1Ghz
●RAM 512MB
●V-20 disc CDC Memory
●Wifi (3G Ready i.e. Plug in your Datacard and you are done.)
●Front DVR Camera
●Mirrorlink Mobile Phone
●File Explorer And OTG With Removable Disk
●All Data From DVD/USB/CD/Bluetooth/Internet Can Be Exchanged
●REC Function:DVD/Camera/TV/AUX/Other Multimedia
●Bluetooth with Phonebook & A2DP
●HD Digital TFT LCD Monitor: 800*480
●All Format Support
●1080P HD Video Display
●Full Touch Screen
●Steering Wheel Control Support (You will have to choose between Mute/Enter function unless I come up with logic to use both)
●GPS Navigation

The shipment came via DHL (had to pay extra for it but peace of mind was my priority + HU cost (PM me if you want the details) + 50 Mail conversations 2Months + 1 Month wait for new year to start === > My Product :">
3 Days is all it took from Factory to Home

The installation was done by SK Motors Chandigarh and if hadn't been for his confirmation I wouldn't have gone ahead and bought the device, so all thanks to Aman Verma of SK Motors Chandigarh :D

The bluetooth works like a charm and the call Functionality is nicely placed.

P.S: If any other pics required let know shall click them (once I get time 2014 keeping me on my toes)
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

First Service

Postby jskandhari » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 pm

My First Service of Hermes was due and before the Summers kick in & today being a sunny day (comparatively) I thought of giving the ride for service. Had checked in advance on with the service center people whether it would be viable for them to service the Car today or not.

Me: When should I visit the center for GV service.
SC: Aap Jab bhi ajaiye Hum Saato Din Khule Hai || Sir you can come any day we are open all Seven Days
Me: I know you are open all seven days, what I'm asking is on which day is Engineer Car ratio least and the probability of getting Quality workers.
SC: Aap Tuesday ajaiye 10 baje ke aaspass || You may come on Tuesday at around 1000hrs

I rarely do like Service Centers on how they handle cars, Chitosho in Mohali has been my favourite when it comes to serivce. But since I was in Gurgaon, and given my 10 pointers awesome experience with Apra TV, thought of going in for service here only.

Service Time taken was as per the committed time, however the quality of service on certain areas was superb while on others was below acceptable standards.

1) My Reverse Light use to skip at-times.
The issue was quite simple and could rectify myself 2mins job, adjustment of the switch but since the service was due thought of getting it done via them only.
So they did address the issue (hopefully) but forgot to tuck in my Gear Lever Leather glove & had to get it done post inspection.

2)Fuel Lid
The wire had gone loose and required tightening; simple issue, and they used Dent-ers to resolve it, now I have 2 small dots dents on my Fuel Lid coming outwards. Imagine on top of this the person saying "Yeh toh phele hi tha" and when I reverted that how can a dent come from inside out, moreover I had seen you guys just now use a screwdriver to adjust the metal, they were all shut.

3)Fenders Lining
Apparently someone had bumped into my car while reversing her/his car.
This was rectified superbly.

Moreover my onboard camera showed that the Service Center guys where experiencing the car and doing test driver in it. Wanted to upload the video of same but it had too much foul eventually had to drop the idea.

Driving at high speed within compound, using 2nd Gear to judge the car comfort and smoothness.
#ignore Log & Lat those are before the lock was established.

I felt that the Car Market Mohinder in Sec 48 Chandigarh from whom I use to get my Esteem (and still the Alto K10 & likes goto him) always attended my car with care and respect. They knew how to caress and work on a car and not just do a duty.

Like I say, Service Greatly matters on Humans and how they are being monitored. Administration and how they internally are. I'm still impressed by the TV guys from top to bottom at True Value, but Workshop service center was a different experience altogether.
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

DLNA-fied Grand Vitara - Hermes

Postby jskandhari » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 am

DLNA fied my car ! So now not only my home even my car is wireless, now. No need to plug in the mobile or Bluetooth ♬ now have videos audios & images that are on mobile laptop or any device (having wireless & UPnP), On my Head Unit.
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Postby jskandhari » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Though the Kms between the first & second service were pretty less , I still got it serviced.

Thoroughly checked for all oils and fluids. All were good as they had been changed 6 months ago only.

Apart from the service got it a dedicated tool kit

Utility Tool Kit

Also discovered the 4" Sanyo Active Subwoofer underneath the Co-passenger driver seat. Might get it changed if need be, presently enjoying the sound output.

Sent via Droid Ultra XT1080 using Tapatalk for TnP...
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Postby jskandhari » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Quick drive to the hills upto Chakimordh , places I missed to visit during my college days due to one or the other reason.

Learnt how the Dynamics of Grand Vitara work I.e. all time 4x4 work.

Sent via Droid Ultra XT1080 using Tapatalk for TnP...
jskandhari
Admin
Admin

Next